Saturday, August 04, 2007

Fishing with the boys.


"After I caught my first fish I just couldn't stop, I can't get enough!" - Tom Wright

Tom Wright is a 23 year old student dating the soon to be missionary Molly Lewis. He is gregarious with a capital G. He once mentioned that people "disappear to him" if he doesn't see them on a regular basis, so we asked him about that and what relationships mean to him.

People “disappear to you” when you don’t see them. How is this going to effect to your relationship with Molly when she leaves?

Boy that’s the question. I’ve given this a little thought. The word trepidation…is that the word.

With all of this moving around and people “disappearing to you” has this limited your ability to really become close to people?

No. It just makes distancing myself from them really easy.

You are a very gregarious chap, you are always in the thick of things and getting activities going? What is it that drives you?

First of all when you said "gregarious" I thought of the wand maker. But, the audience. I love to perform. Just give me a crowd.

That being said, do you have a dream job?

I did. I wanted to be a pilot. That didn’t work out. I wanted to be an intelligence officer in the air force. That didn’t work out either. So now…my ambition is really just to make money. That is all I have left of me.

Any idea on how you are going to do that?

Learn Arabic, and then do what Gavin says. Good plan

You are a very social person, but from our previous conversations it seems that you don’t have a lot of long term relationships. Are you worried about the effect that will have on a relationship with a wife?

Extremely!

So are you doing anything about it?

I would like to nip this problem in the bud by letting it work itself out.

What type of dreams do you have?

Sometimes I'm at school and I am naked…

Not those type of dreams.

My other types of dreams…I just want money. I want to have fun. I don’t want to be poor. Poor people have fun: police officers, fire fighters the EMT’s people that honk and say get out of my way. And I can’t do what I want and have fun, then I at least want to have lots of money. I also dream of being young and beautiful, my whole life. I will devote some of my time to my youth and beauty. Part of this involves Michelle Ferry, because she helps me run. Part of this involves Jesse Ormsby because he helps me get all of the stray hairs when I wax my stomach. I also want to be the prophet. And I would like a hair cut. I would like to afford one of everything. Barber, a maid, kids, and a lake in my back yard. And it has to have cat fish, and mino’s.

"Just enjoying the great outdoors." -Andrew Taylor

Andrew Taylor is Tom Wright's best friend. He recently returned from a mission in the great city of Salt Lake. I was able to ask him several questions about what it was like tracking in the "greatest snow on earth!"

You served your mission in my heimat, the 801. I love the city like no other, but missionaries get to see a side of the city that most people don’t what did you like most about the SLC, and what things did you dislike?

I can almost honestly say that there wasn’t anything I didn’t like. I could knick pick and say if you aren’t going one direction you have to take side roads if you can’t take I 80, but it’s the grid system and it’s awesome…it’s inspired from God what can you say?

One of the things I loved was I served in the avenues, it was my only area without a car, there are some awesome mountain biking trails in the avenues our mission leader took us to some awesome trails. That was one thing I like the outdoor wilderness.

I served on the east side a lot, it was neat to see the really old neighborhoods and the old houses and the 100 year old trees.

How has your relationship or your view of the church changed since being home from your mission?

It’s interesting because my mission, didn’t really change my view of the church but I got a view of the church. I was a punk kid who didn’t know much. It gave me perfect examples of great wards and horrible wards, great bishops and horrible bishops etc. It will hopefully help me train other on how to become a great member.

Doctrinally speaking it was fun to serve in salt lake, because we had a wealth of information at our hands. Not only could we go to desert book, but we could talk to stake presidents that knew tons about the church. Some missionaries were even able to talk to people like Cleon Skousen. We were able to talk about and learn about things that normally other missionaries wouldn’t have the time or the resources to research. We loved to talk about deep doctrine…good times.

What is your greatest passion?

Sleep. Yet I don’t get to sleep till 1 AM and I have to be up at 7AM.

Harry potter.

Computer games.

Wait…just sleep.

Are you a lover or a fighter?

I’m a sleeper.


No comments: