Friday, June 06, 2008

Why small cars don't scare me

After my last post several people mentioned that even if you drive more carefully and are less likely to get in an accident while driving a small car, you are definitely more likely to die when you do get in a wreck. This statement is true, but it hasn't changed my opinion of small cars. The problem is many people feel if they aren't in the biggest car on the rode then they aren't safe, so hence the reason cars just keep getting bigger. But the real reason I'm not scared of getting a smart car when people say I'll get crushed is because I a smart car is far more protection then I have on my bike. Because I know anytime a bike and a car fight, the car is going to win. Just this week in Mexico we were reminded of how bikers are really putting their lives in the hands of the drivers on the road.
Fortunately I haven't had any crashes as severe as this one, but it shows how defenseless bikers are against cars. So of course it would be much more safe to start driving around in a big hummer, SUV or the Oscar Mayer Wiener car. But, I like to think I can trust my fellow drivers enough not to run me over. So please next time you see me riding down the road feel free to give me plenty of space, because regardless of what you might think, I don't want to play chicken.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Oh Gavin, don't be silly - I know you love chicken.

P.S. I still think you should get a jet.