Wednesday, July 20, 2011

100 Items

If you could only have 100 of your possessions, what would you keep?
  1. Bike
  2. Pump
  3. Tevas
For the past few days I have been trying to decide what I can live without and getting down to 100 items is much harder than I thought. The idea to pair things down to 100 came to me after reading about a couple who did just that. I have always considered myself somewhat of a minimalist, however I am also a pack rat. So although I purchase very few things, I also throw
out far fewer. Keeping me well out of 100 mark.
55. Pizza Cutter
56. 11 t-shirts
67. 5 framed pictures
Well a year has past since I first read the article about the strobel's and their 100 possessions and I had all but forgotten about it until last week when a friend of mine brought it up and told me how much further he had moved from that goal after having a baby. Then I realized this short period of my life may be the only time I can live with just 100 items to my name.
134. Cell Phone
135. Car
136. Car sun shield
I started by counting up everything I owned, thinking I might already be down to close to 100. After all, the majority of my things are still in Utah. Before I knew it though, I was passing 200.
215. Dust Pan
216. bug spray
217. Alarm Clock
227 is what the total came to. Of the top of my head I thought of about 30 things I would never miss, but getting rid of over half of my stuff does seem to be a bit difficult. So although the Strobels found happiness with just 100 items, I still have a long way before I reach that kind of nirvana.


1 comment:

Andrew said...

My computer stuff would add up to over 100 items by itself.... not to mention my camera stuff! oy vey!