Friday, January 20, 2012

Dad Vindicated

Several years ago Donald Boudreaux wrote an article in the Freeman titled "I will not vote." The article was based on studies done by economist and statisticians showing that an individual vote in an election never has any value. My dad wrote an article saying that although Mr. Boudreaux was correct about national elections his theory did not apply to local elections. Mr. Bourdreaux's rebuttal was that even in very small local communities a single vote had no statistical significance. My dad wrote his own rebuttal on his blog but it is unlikely that it would have swayed Mr. Bourdreaux's position.
Then on election day my sister, Rebecca, called me to ask if she could borrow my car for the afternoon so that she, Austen, and Andrew could drive up to South Salt Lake to vote against the new bond to be issued to the city. Mr. Bourdreaux's article instantly came to mind and I couldn't believe that my siblings were willing to waist over 2 hours just to go vote, something I thought was a completely pointless exercise.
Well you can imagine my surprise when the next morning on my way to the swimming pool I heard over the radio that "the bond in South Salt Lake failed by 3 votes."

2 comments:

Abinadi said...

Dad is always right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoJV4NLxqg

Tom said...

Can't keep a Gee down.