Monday, November 17, 2008

Tax Time

To be clear I am always one of the first to chastise any tax increase. After all, what you tax you decrease, you are essentially saying that thing you are taxing is in someway evil. So things like Capital gains or income taxes I have been quick to criticize. However, there are a few things I support taxing. I support taxes on cigarettes, Alcohol, and things with a negative externality.
Believe me, I loved being able to fill up my car this morning for $28.34, just over half of what I was paying earlier this year. Every politician this summer was saying "We need to end our dependence on foreign fuel". I heard constant whining about souring gas prices and how the government needed to step in. Although since the price is plummeted congress doesn't have people breathing down there necks to do something about it anymore, and like many things, now that congress could do something, they probably won't.
But, perhaps this new administration will show some real change and before everyone decides to pull their SUV's back out of storage they will step in and raise the gas tax.

1 comment:

Steph said...

GG, if you want a gas tax so bad I have an idea. You buy the gas and then I'll tax you. Good. Done. Easy.