Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Adam Smith


As an Application Engineer I was often asked questions about subjects I didn't understand. When I told my co-workers I really had no idea what I was doing, they would always reply "you know a lot more than you think you do." And after realizing the people asking the questions had no clue either, I decided I would simply answer their questions the best I could. As long as I seemed confident in my answer they were happy--even if the answer was completely wrong. Sadly, I seemed to have extended this habit into my personal life. As my roommates will attest, I will answer any question, regardless if I know the answer or not. So although I am correct 99.9% of the time, they are always weary of anything I tell them. It wasn't until recently that I found someone as good at making up ridiculous and erroneous comments as I was. Fortunately I haven't made any of my blunders are national TV with the whole country watching. He is probably hoping that he just won't get any hard questions.

2 comments:

Abinadi said...

Aptly named post, Mr. Gee. However, your claim of being correct "99.9%" of the time I'm afraid is slightly off. I would put it closer to "63.7%" which is why our hesitation to believe anything you say is more than justified.

;)

Steph said...

You know, GG, maybe your coworkers are right - you do know a lot more than you think you do...it's just takes too much effort to access it. Opportunity cost.