Monday, October 27, 2008

Nov 4th...a little early.

Once a year we all participate in what is the most heavily contested, corrupted, and costly event of the year. No, not the Superbowl. I am of course referring to our yearly elections, and with the president on the ballot this year it is shaping up to be the most expensive event of the century. In the past year I have seen approximately 25 debates, read over 500 articles, and watched millions of dollars in commercials all aimed at influencing my decision once inside the voting booth November 4th. But it will all be in vain because what Barack Obama doesn't know is I decided to vote early.
It was a mater of a seconds after stepping into my local library before I was staring at the screen reading my four options for the office of President of United States of America. Briefly I thought about Barack Obama and the National Bank/Hospital/Auto Manufacturer he would shortly be creating. I thought about John McCain and the insurance I had that, although he didn't understand the economy during a time when banks around the world are failing, I could count on him to set preconditions before having lunch with anyone. I briefly hovered over the name of Bob Barr, the libertarian, who, surprisingly, left me disappointed. Then I saw something that really caught my eye "write in". The possibilities were suddenly endless as to who I could chose. Ron Paul, Thomas Sowell, Bobby Jindal, even Greg Mankiw began battling for my vote inside my mind. The highfalutin speeches ceased their insidious plans to obfuscate past mistakes or intimations of future ones. Leaving behind the lucid and concise arguments of the venerable candidates who now presented themselves. This was my opportunity to determine the future of our country. This was the root from which democracy has flourished, the right to vote. And with the world entering into what appears to be one of the largest financial crisis in history I knew this decision was not to be taken lightly. The radio announcers voice I had heard only moments early rang back through my ears proclaiming "This is the most important decision Americans have faced in their life time". My decision was clear, there was only one person I could count on in such dire circumstances. As usual the rest of the country will not see the wisdom of my vote for years to come. In time, I am hopeful, they will understand why during 'the most important decision of my life" I decided to vote for, Merrill K. Gee.

No comments: