Wednesday, October 15, 2008

UtiliGEE prize in Economics


Every Monday and Friday I grit my teeth, go to nytimes.com, and read Paul Krugman's acerbic Op-ed piece. The first time I read his column I asked myself "Who hired this loony?". I nearly lost faith in the Economic profession once I found out he was once a professor at Princeton (how could an economist writings be so visceral and his speeches so vapid). Having come directly out of BYU I was still under the impression all Economist were brilliant Libertarians striving pick up where Milton Friedman left off. Since reading Krugman's articles I have come to realize there are all sorts of highfalutin nut jobs studying Economics with crazy names like Austan who think every right thinking economist will support Keynesian models during financial turmoil. So hearing Paul had just become the second youngest person to take home the Nobel prize in Economics was a bit more than I could stomach. I mean seriously, I just gave my concession speech to Barack, why do you have to kick me while I'm down. In an effort to keep myself out of the fetal position I have decided to give out my own Economic Award--The UtiliGEE Prize in Economics--given yearly to an individual whose contributions in Economics have developed and improved my understanding of how people, business, and governments maximize Utility.
This year the nominees are:
Greg Mankiw
Thomas Sowell
Martin Feldstein
Walter Williams
Gary Becker
David Leonhardt
Tyler Cowen
Russell Roberts
Stay tuned for the announcement of the winner on October 23rd.

No comments: