Friday, April 04, 2008

Free your X

Last week a few of my friends were sitting around chatting when one mentioned he had seen a "chump" hitting on his x-girlfriend. From this encounter he had decided the perpetrator was a schmuck, and then informed the rest of us in the room "in case you didn't know [His x-girlfriend] is off limits". I have bumped into this circumstance quite a bit here in Texas and, I have to say, I HATE IT! Listen, memo to all jerkfaces who think they have some type of control over who dates their past girlfriends...unless a girl has a ring on her finger she is anything but off limits.
In this blog I have mentioned Milton Friedman approximately 187 times. The reason I can't stop talking about him is he chose the perfect title for the perfect book. Free to Chose! From the moment I heard the title I knew I would love the book...and I did. Because he was expressing our God given right. That we are free to chose; good, bad, smart, stupid, or outright insane. So who are you to think you can take away that right from your girlfriend? Hillary Clinton?
Obviously if you have split up, then either you or your former significant other decided the two of you would be happier with someone else. So why deprive any of your friends their happiness. It's like Sting says "If you love someone, set them free".

4 comments:

Abinadi said...

You are so funny, Gavin.

Seriously, you speak like someone who hasn't been in a serious relationship with a woman and been hurt because of it.

You make a good point about being free to choose, but have you asked yourself why so many feel so strongly about this idea?

Luckily for me, the choice must be made by both parties. To wit, I defy you date my ex-girlfriend (whom I have said is off-limits), Kasey!

Steph said...

GG, why are you so obsessed with leftovers? Go get your own dinner man!

The Girl said...

Abinadi, I defy you to date your ex-girlfriend. Seriously, it was like a fluke. You can't repeat that trick.

Jesse said...

Ouch, Jalaine. Abinadi, I love you.

Gavin, two points:

1) I think it's funny that this upsets you so much. Have you been blocked by this before?

2) usually the X rule applies to your friend's X's. If somebody I didn't care about told me to leave his old girlfriend alone, it might be motivation to keep asking her out. But, if it's somebody a friend has been involved with, they don't even need to tell me to leave it alone. It's a respect thing.