Thursday, March 27, 2008

Don't worry I wasn't going to use my savings anyways

In a past post I mentioned that I spend $2 a day funding the Iraq war. My brother called me on it, so I checked. Actually the first 4 years of the war cost me much less than $1 a day, but last year it was over $2. Now it is up to everyone to decide if they think that money was well spent or not. But for those of us who would like to reduce the amount of money we spend on bombs, toilet seats, bridges to nowhere, and Spitzer's late night rendezvous there was a way to cut it down. It was one of the happiest days of my life when I realized there was a way to not pay taxes...I could stash away money in a 401K! I could pretend like I am a popper without the government stealing all of my cash. Sadly Greg Mankiw pointed out to me today that money might not be as safe as I thought. Turns out that Barack doesn't put any of his money in a 401K, which can only mean one of two things. He likes paying taxes, or he has reason to believe taxes are going to be significantly higher after he retires. So not only will I never see the $4,000 I pay to social security each year. But, also the 10% of my wages I put in my 401K. At least I will have the satisfaction of knowing my hard earned money will be put to good use. And who knows maybe they will let me use that fancy toilet.

2 comments:

Steph said...

GG, I have an idea - why don't you give me 10% of your income and I'll be sure to take care of it.

The Girl said...

Did you mean pauper?